When you face water damage at the house, there’s so much to do. You have to identify the problem, make repairs and start the recovery process. After several days of hard work, you’re done. You heave a big sigh of relief.
That’s when it hits you. You’re wondering out loud, “I’ve done all this cleaning, and my carpet smells like mildew. How can I get rid of this awful odor?”
We understand what you’re dealing with. It’s frustrating, but it’s manageable. You need to use techniques that eliminate smells without hurting your carpet.
How to Get Rid of Water-Damaged Carpet Smell
We covered how to dry wet carpet in a previous post, so we want to expand on that with information specific to your carpets. These four techniques are all very effective for removing unpleasant carpet odors.
1. Break Out the Baking Soda
Baking soda on wet carpets helps absorb moisture while it neutralizes unpleasant smells. For best results, sprinkle affected areas before you go to bed, and vacuum the next morning.
Power Tip: Spread fresh fragrance every time you vacuum by putting a cotton ball soaked in vanilla or a teaspoon of baking soda inside the vacuum’s bag.
2. Spritz Wet Carpet Smells Away With Vinegar
Mix half a cup of white vinegar with half a cup of water in a spray bottle. Lightly mist any carpet that stinks after getting wet. Scrub stubborn areas with the mixture, but don’t re-soak fibers.
Power Tip: Extend your vinegar mix’s freshening reach by spraying a very fine mist over upholstery and drapes.
3. Rent Carpet Cleaning Equipment
When we’re asked how to get rid of wet carpet odor, we sometimes suggest rental equipment for shampooing water damaged carpets. It’s heavy work, but it’s an effective way to freshen up musty fibers.
4. Use Power Products
If you’re dealing with a combination of ground-in dirt and strong odors, consider attacking both problems with specially formulated cleaning solutions. Be sure to match the product to your carpet type, and always follow label instructions.
Extra Tips and Tricks
Here are a few more ideas that make the job of getting rid of carpet odor from water damage a little easier. Several of these tips are great for keeping rooms fresh long after you’ve cleaned up a water disaster.
• As you work on deodorizing the carpet, open as many windows as possible, and avoid running the HVAC system.
• Set up fans and dehumidifiers to circulate fresh air through the room and control moisture.
• Be sure to clean and thoroughly dry any baseboards adjacent to affected carpets.
• Place uncovered bowls filled with vinegar at different levels on tables and shelves throughout the room.
• Relocate house plants to the affected area so that they can help absorb odors and brighten the atmosphere.
Don’t Rule Out Mold
If you can’t get rid of the water-damaged carpet smell, it may be caused by mold. DIY water damage cleanup can sometimes leave behind hidden damp that sets the stage for mold growth in padding and subflooring. You can pull back the carpet to visually check for mold, but it’s best to call in restoration professionals who:
• Detect hidden moisture in subflooring with special equipment.
• Pull up carpet and padding to reach and clean affected areas.
• Eliminate mold growth and follow up with preventative techniques.
• Thoroughly clean and replace padding and carpet that can be salvaged.
We always recommend professional cleanup for large areas affected by any kind of flooding. This greatly increases the chances of saving carpets and making sure mold doesn’t ruin your flooring. Restoration specialists can make most carpets look and smell like new after a water disaster.
Share Your Freshest Strategies
We base our tips and techniques on our many years of experience as the area’s largest water damage cleanup company. We’re always interested in your ideas, so tell us about your best strategies for freshening up the carpets in your home. Just share them here with a post in our Comments Section.
If you’re dealing with carpet odors that won’t go away, give us a call. Our teams solve the problem with state-of-the-art carpet water extraction equipment and industry expertise. You can always count on ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba as your go-to water damage cleanup company. We take care of the hard work, and we’re here for you 24/7.