Claims Process & FAQs


Insurance claims process & FAQs for homeowners and business owners in Chicago, Illinois and the surrounding suburbs.

ServiceMaster Restoration By Zaba has been assisting homeowners, business owners, condo associations, renters and facility managers in Chicago, IL and Surrounding suburbs navigate the complexities of an insurance claim.

As a leader in fire and water cleanup and restoration, ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba is a preferred vendor for Insurance companies and offers a competitive advantage. Our goal is to restore both your property and peace of mind through timely mitigation and adherence to IICRC standards.

State Farm Insurance Claims

Allstate Insurance Claims

Farmers Insurance Claims

Why ServiceMaster Restore

ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba Professionals are uniquely qualified to keep claims costs down while still providing the best services possible.

Large Loss Response

No Restoration Project is too large. We handle large commercial projects, whether from a major storm event, water damage or fire damage, the ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba -Disaster Recovery Team can provide help quickly.


ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba Professionals are IICRC certified and highly trained in property damage restoration and attend monthly trainings provided through the ServiceMaster University Portal.

Claims Process

What does the insurance claims process look like?

Once you are given a claim number you should find out if you have an adjuster assigned to your claim and make sure you are covered for services and how they would like you to handle the deductible. We can also take care of this for you in-house once provided with the claim number.  We will walk you through the process making it easier for you to handle other things.

Do I have to wait for the adjuster to come before you can start?

No. We are a preferred vendor for insurance companies and follow their guidelines when providing services.  As the homeowner or property manager you need to make sure you maintain a safe property and take action right away.  We will begin services and communicate with your adjuster regarding the work that has been completed. We will also schedule a walk through with the adjuster and discuss next steps.

What paperwork will I need?

When we arrive we will have a few documents for you to sign authorizing us to begin services.  These documents will be uploaded into a system that is viewed by your insurance adjuster. We also upload an itemized estimate, sketches and pictures and make important notes regarding the services provided and next steps.

How is payment handled?

Once the work has been completed and the adjuster has looked at all documentation submitted they will issue payment directly to us. There will be times when they include the insured on the check as well, if that happens you will need to sign the check and send it to us. Depending on the size of your claim, your insurance can also include your mortgage company. We will help expedite the process when a mortgage is involved. Lastly, you will have a deductible, the adjuster will let you know if you should pay it to ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba or apply it to the reconstruction.

What about reconstruction?

We can assist with the reconstruction of your property as well.  We will provide your adjuster with a reconstruction scope. Once the scope is approved by the adjuster we will collect a deposit for material upfront and collect the remaining balance upon completion.

How long will it take for my home to be back to normal?

This can depend on how extensive the damage is and if you call us right away. Normally the mitigation/cleaning process is incomplete in 1-2 days with drying equipment running for 3-5 days. Reconstruction will depend on agreement of scope which normally happens right away, however if floors, carpeting, cabinets and countertops need to be replaced, time will be based on availability of these items.

Do I have to stay home during this process?

Depending on the extent of the damage will determine if you need to stay somewhere else during mitigation and reconstruction.  Make sure you have coverage for living expenses on your insurance policy in case of an emergency.

Should I get renters insurance?

YES! If the property you are renting experiences water or fire damage and your contents experience damage, the landlord is not responsible for your belongings.  Renters insurance will cover your contents, storage and cover living expenses, just make sure you have the right coverage. We can clean your content, pack and move your content as well, these services are covered under your insurance.

Should I be worried about mold?

You should be concerned about mold if you wait too long to get water damage mitigated.  Mold starts to develop in the first 48 hours so it is important to take action right away.

What happens if I wait too long to start repairs?

If you wait too long to start repairs it would be considered neglect on your part and your insurance can deny your claim. If you develop mold it can be a serious health issue and insurance will not cover damage due to mold.

What should I look for in an insurance policy?

Many policyholders are not aware of their coverage until they experience some kind of disaster.  We recommend that you look at your policy and make sure you are covered for any type of fire damage, as for water damage you should ask about sewage backup, sump pump failures, appliance leaks and roof damage due to wind, storm and hail. Find out what your deductible is and if your content is covered in case of damage and living expenses. Also ask about your policy limits.  Your Insurance agent can help you with this, it really only takes a quick email or phone call.

If you experience a disaster such as water damage or fire damage in your home or business, give ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba a call: 773.647.1985, we have the experience and knowledge to get you back to normal fast,  answer all your questions and walk you through the claims process.