It’s all part of your fall routine. Sweaters come out of drawers, blankets come out of storage, and musty smells come out of the furnace. When you fire up your home’s heater on the season’s first chilly day, those odd odors are a sure sign it’s time for fall furnace maintenance.
Do you know what you need to do to get the furnace ready for another Chicago winter?
Your home’s heating equipment needs extra attention every fall, but you should always back up your DIY efforts with HVAC cleaning services. Let’s take a look at what you can do, what professionals do and the benefits of getting the furnace in top shape before cold weather sets in.
What You Can Do on Your Own
You can do a lot to take care of your home’s heating system, but electric, oil and gas furnace maintenance should always include an inspection by HVAC professionals. Let them do the mechanical work while you prep for winter with this furnace maintenance checklist.
• Trade out old, dirty filters with quality replacements.
• Make sure intake air vents aren’t blocked by furniture.
• Move anything stored near the heater to another area.
• Check for drafts that could blow out the pilot light.
What Furnace Cleaning Services Do
A professional cleaning contractor who specializes in fall furnace maintenance handles all types of residential heating systems. The work is performed by industry certified technicians who clean these system-critical components with special equipment and products:
• Heat exchangers
• Coils and drip pans
• Fan motors and housings
• Air vents and registers
• Supply and return air ducts
Professional air duct cleaning is necessary because the network that runs above ceilings and inside walls collects dirt year-round. From insect debris and rodent droppings to cobwebs and accumulated dust, the buildup compromises indoor air quality and poses a risk to your health.
10 Benefits of Fall Furnace Maintenance
When you turn on a freshly cleaned heating system, there’s one thing you don’t notice: that unpleasant, stale odor drifting through the house. Not all the benefits of a clean furnace are quite as obvious, but they add up to a safer, warmer and healthier winter for you and the family.
1. Cleaning House Is Easier – Freshly cleaned ducts and vents don’t blow fine dust and debris through every room where it coats furniture and settles into fabric and carpets.
2. Heating Bills Stay Down – Clean equipment performs more efficiently, uses less fuel and holds down heating costs through the coldest months.
3. Equipment Doesn’t Fail as Often – All those moving furnace parts perform with significantly reduced wear and tear, so you can look forward to fewer repair bills.
4. Your Furnace Lasts Longer – Less equipment breakdown adds up to extended mechanical life for your furnace, and documented cleaning is required by many manufacturers’ warranties.
5. Everything Operates Quietly – Clean ductwork stays structurally sound reducing the chance of buckles and tears that cause noisy bangs and rumbles in the system.
6. Ductwork Gets Sanitized – Professional duct cleaning significantly improves indoor air quality by eliminating the unhealthy debris left behind by insects and rodents.
7. The House Stays Warmer – Efficient performance evenly distributes warm air throughout your home, so you don’t have to put up with chilly spots or cold rooms.
8. Temperatures Stay Under Control – A freshly cleaned ductwork system and blower motor help control temperature variances, and that keeps the family from playing thermostat roulette.
9. A Clean Furnace Is Safer – Professional cleaning takes care of dust and debris buildup that can become a fire hazard or cause equipment failure that can result in carbon monoxide poisoning.
10. You Just Breathe Better – Clean ductwork and furnace equipment doesn’t pollute your home with airborne allergens and particulates that can compromise your health.
Stay Warm and Safe
Whether you heat your home with electricity, gas or oil, keep the system in top shape with a good DIY checklist and an inspection by a furnace maintenance company. Staying warm should always mean staying safe too.
We invite you to share your suggestions and thoughts about home furnace care through our Comments Section. If you’d like more information about our HVAC cleaning services for Chicago and the suburbs, give us a call here at ServiceMaster Restoration by Zaba. We look forward to helping you stay warm and safe.